Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 52- Inpatient Stay

Good Afternoon Everyone! We only have 4 days left until we get to see the twins. Time seems to pass so slowly when you are sooooo looking forward to something!


About the weights on Friday, after talking to the doctor yesterday he has expressed that he is not concerned. If there was a weight difference because of a restriction of the blood flow in the cords the ultrasounds would have picked up a problem with the dopplers. The restriction would have to be a very significant in order to compromise growth. Also, since it was on baby A, she could have been sitting really low and that could throw off the measurements to get really accurate weights on the babies. So, we will see what the weights are on Thursday and how they compare to the estimates.

Also, yesterday it was recommended to us that I receive the 12 hour magnesium drip again before delivery. The magnesium helps to prevent cerebral palsy. There is a lot of research that says this has a significant improvement in preemie singletons but, not a whole lot of research has been done with twins. But, we agree with our doctor when he says that it should have the same effect. This was not a positive experience for me last time I received the magnesium and so I am not looking forward to going through this again. I will be starting the magnesium at 7 pm on Monday night and it will run until morning. Wish me luck!

This next week is a big one for us. Not only is our family of four going to become a family of six but, we are going to close the book on one chapter in our journey and open the next. We have looked at this pregnancy as including four different steps. Step one was pre-hospital time with doctor’s appointments and hoping that each time we went for an ultrasound we found two healthy heart beats. Step two was my inpatient stay which was to last 8 weeks and the main goal was to do all that was possible to keep the babies inside until 32 weeks gestation. And now step three is the NICU stay. We know that it will be a roller coaster ride just like the past two steps but, none the less we are excited to be one step closer to being home and hospital free! A lot of questions about the health of the babies will be answered on Thursday and that is one thing that we really look forward too. We met with the neonatologist yesterday briefly to get a run down on what to expect from the girls after delivery. He gave us some information about what he typically sees with 32 week babies. But, he also stated that we will not know for sure until the babies are born. He actually said minutes after the babies’ birth he could tell us how they will do. I know these are strong babies and hopefully our NICU stay will be short and sweet.

Well, thanks again for all of the thoughts, prayers, visits and everything else. We really appreciate all of the care we have received. I hope that you have a good start to your week and I will try to update on Wednesday to let you know the final details of my inpatient stay.

2 comments:

  1. We definitely need to stay in touch even after our girls are born! I feel a connection with you, and it is funny because Tim and I also thought of all this as a series of four steps. It will be great to continue sharing pictures and stories of our little miracles. We can truly appreciate the trials we have been through. I am really happy we met via internet. Who knows maybe someday our girls can meet in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure who Robyn is, but I met a friend on the net who found me first and followed our mono story and then found herself pregnant with twin boys as well. We connected and still keep in touch to this day. Our NICU stay was so completely emotional, as I am sure you will soon enough find out. We were so very fortunate to not have any problems with our 2lb preemie boys as we witnessed so many others have multiple problems. We are praying heavy here at the Pate home for your baby girls to thrive and stay healthy, free from infection and problems. I am so happy you made it to your 32nd week. We only made it to 30 weeks, but are now watching two very healthy, 20lb rambunctious little boys destroy my living room. This time last year we had just delivered our preemie miracle mono boys and I spent so much of my days traveling back and forth to the NICU. Not sure if you have a pump, if you don't, check with your insurance and maybe you could order one through the hospital and your insurance would cover it. I was able to do so and by the time the boys came home, I had 8 gallons of milk frozed in my deep freezer downstairs..haha! I can only offer my prayers to you. Congrats to getting to the end of stage two and I wish you luck as you begin stage three...

    ReplyDelete